Monday, July 2, 2007

Shoe n Gaze


Well, we're trying to rock out a bit more with the music this week! So its my tribute to bands with guitars...Prominent guitars I should say.

Reflecter, by Sundial, I do believe is out of print at this point, so I'd grab this if I were you! And what's more, Im not sure if it's the same band, but apparently the precursor to Sundial was the Modern Art, which is far more a synthwave band, and now Im really curious about this fact....because I can almost see it....(note to dorkself- investigate this).

The title track to this album, kicked off a most rockin and one of the best mixed tapes I had ever been made. It was because of this mixed tape that I got into Sun Dial, and a whole mess of stuff that appeared on that tape, not to mention a really awesome friendship that lasted for a dynamic seven years. Sadly, like the tape, the friendship is gone too...
The name of the track? Reflecter...it seems, yet once again folks, poignancy follows me through music into my lifeline. But its such a great track and it really moves and the beginning of it reminds me of the darker post punk material, like somehow it could have been spawned by the cross platformed child of RLYL and Loop. With that said, I should think Loop is a most apt reference to make, as it is within a similar vein to the shoegaze of the heavier moodier dark bands, ie, more comparable to Swervedriver shoegaze than Slowdive...What's with the letter "S"?

Its a really great springtime driving album, through the suburbs of any town. Think of the tree lined streets, the occasional highway that runs along a bunch of strip malls, but the sun is out and its a bit muggy from rain, but really bright. You have a really great friend in the car alongside you, both of you having an "i love this song" moment and rocking out like losers...losers with impeccable musical tastes, of course.

If you ever come to New York, even though I live in California, which still looks odd when I type it, get in a car on a Saturday in May, and take a drive on the Northern State Parkway (westbound) to the Meadowbrook Parkway (southbound) and get off on the Zeckendorf Blvd exit and precede to Hempstead Turnpike, and take that westbound towards the Coliseum and just keep driving till this album runs out. This is THE album with this drive...oh and don't forget the smokey treats...

If you're lucky, I'll drive!

1 comment:

Joe said...

Zeckendorf Blvd 4 eva