Thursday, July 5, 2007

For the black-suited boys



You know the sad thing, besides the fact that its founding main member is dead, but when a band really has a great sound, and yet one really popular song, plunges them into mainstream acknowledgment for that one song and dismisses them slightly amongst other bands that get more pronounced credit. If I ever hear a Chameleons fan dismiss Big Country or tell me they dont listen to them, well there is something seriously wrong, because I think they are quite comparable, except Big Country's lyrical content is rather different, but that "sound" is there. The rough big concert get drunk and get rowdy with a fellow fan/friend essence is there. I'll put side by side "1000 Stars" with "Fan and Bellows" and you tell me that the essence is NOT the same, bah!

Why am I expressing all this? Because I am guilty of this dismissal when I was younger. I knew the title track and liked it but thought nothing further of them, save for this one catchy tune. Id see it in stores and say, "oh its that In A Big Country band." Thinking I had stumbled upon yet another thing that probably sounded like later period Heaven 17, and by that I mean a really great song amongst a bulk of crap, I never heard this album, sadly until I was already a Chameleons fan at the age of 22.

Through the fortunes of an older friend downsizing her entire vinyl collection, and me reaping the rewards, I inherited a very nice vinyl sleeve silver embossed version of this album, which kicking myself now, I got rid of for cash. But!!! I do own the cd because I love the album so. I have curiously surprised a friend here and there with thinking that the album they were listening to, was some other obscure post punk band I had stumbled upon. All I would say is keep listening to the album and you'll figure it out...you'll kick yourself you haven't figured out...HOW? Because I always used to start it on track 2, and then let it fall onto the first one at the end..

"HOLY SHIT??!!! THIS IS THEM?"

I love getting that reaction to bands. Because its such a great sign of appreciation that you feel warmed in sharing it. It's similar to when I heard Icehouse, by Icehouse, and was blown away that this amazing song was THAT band.

I think one of the great things about music is when you can emit a response from someone that totally makes you smile. It's the great thing about good music, is that it can really grab someone in such a way that they loose sense about stupid shit and just immerse themselves entirely. Plus being made to feel dumbfounded with yourself every now and then is a good way to keep us all on our feet.

The Crossing is another great rockin-alterna-Pub-Art band and this album I think still holds up...even on repetitive rotations on the car stereo, right? ;)

ENJOY!

1 comment:

El Limbo von Punsch said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTqwaTXdPPQ

They knew how to have fun...