Monday, July 23, 2007

Demolished sanctuary!



Sleek, Disturbed and Sexy always gets the job done, right? 'Tis a strange thing, for I recall the first time listening to this, thinking it was really bland, annoying and dismal in a bland, annoying way. Somehow after putting it away for years and not bothering to listen to it, I have rediscovered that its, still bland, dismal and annoying.

Not at all.

Actually I would say that the overtones of dismal are still going to be used to describe this, and I think of this as almost a precursor to a great deal of what much of the SST mid 80's catalog sounded like, that droney indie rock. Who knows, perhaps one can look at Dance Chapter and think, I wonder if Sebadoh every owned a 7". I mean on the 4ad label who doesn't know them? Well provided you are a fan of 4ad. :)

I was in the mood for this today, and Im not sure why, because I was enjoying my perusals of other random things, and this just called out to me, "play me. you never play with me." Funny, was that prior to listening to this I was having fun with Sex Gang Children material...perhaps the vocals just, literally, called out to me.

It's my offering for today
ps- i know sebadoh was not part of SST. I was speaking of two separate thoughts...just in case someone tries to nab me on factoids...

No comments: