Wednesday, July 18, 2007

as of the now

It has always been something to hear something unknown and feel really good by what you hear. I was over at Phoenix Hairpins earlier and downloaded a band called The Gentry, since I'm all about hearing stuff I don't know, but from description sounded pretty good.

AND BOY AM I PLEASED TO SAY---IT IS!

Okay so its not like you are going to hear anything that sounds drastically different from what you might have heard in your musical comings and goings, but for what it is, its catchy. It's reminding me of a Seventeen Seconds era Cure, a splash of Sad Lovers and Giants moody pop, a mild tinge of early sombre Bono stylings in the vocals, with that Korova Records feel from the early 80's, and an undeniable punch of cool post punk drum punch machine percussion...even if it is a real drummer...No I don't mean Factory Records, I mean the muted drum version of a slightly softened thumping than gun shot popping.

Oh yeah, this is quite good. This really feels quite like a early/mid 80s release on Midnight Records. Wow, where has this been for my years of obsessing with bands like this?! This track called Fragments of Truth, that Im currently listening to, is really hitting the references from above. Oh its so good, the ambiance of synth filling in the backgrounds while the guitars just kind of fuzz over the swooning vocals and the drum just keeps the beat to move through it all. Oh this is a definite "mopey rainy day with the headset wandering outside below the trees in your neighborhood" tune.

Oh and yes, the Adrian reference on the site is quite apt...

"The more we talk, the less I get involved
The more You talk The less I get involved
"


So I am posting because this has my full attention right now and I'm really excited about it. Please go here, read the bit and download this!

Senses...

2 comments:

Curious Guy said...

Hello there,
nice write-up on The Gentry. Glad you like it. Already added a link to your blog.

Plastiquegal said...

Hey thanks! Awesome, and thanks again for posting it!