Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Remembrances

To the left of the driver, sand, trees and shimmering water that stretched to the shores of Japan, and to the right, yellow golden, grass plotted hills speeding by as the smell of sweet plants and warm air pleasantly whips past your face. In front of you the highway curves to the left and right, bringing you behind homes on the beach-front and obscuring your view. Every few minutes a break out of this and the full view of natures wonder and shorelines and cliff lined highways with the foam and mist engulfing the scenery in front, creating an almost mystical place in a slight vanishing point.

This compendium of singles and the full length by The Lucy Show, blares at most indefinitely a volume too loud, but perfect for absent attention to anything else of a distraction...no really I'm a good driver. And its very interesting, for The Lucy Show has been an opportunity afforded to me, only because record shops exist in Los Angeles. I came to own Undone on tape, by a record shop in Venice, and Extended play was purchased at another record store in West Hollywood. It almost seems fitting that listening to them reminds me of this drive I took some many years ago, by myself, while exploring the coast of SoCal. Further I happen to know a store that has a copy of Undone sitting in its bin for 2$, that Im hoping someone took a chance on and is enjoying it the way I have for these years.

Upon the backside of a business card was written three things that I was told I had to go to certain stores on Long Island and track down...1) Dead Gone Days, by B-Movie, 2)Ha! Ha! Ha! or Systems of Romance by Ultravox!, and 3)Undone, by The Lucy Show. Well I never found any of them at these supposed L.I marks, but they all became these things I had to find and that I became increasingly more obsessed about finding until I did. (Ultravox! the entire Island record catalog was purchased in Boston, B-Movie never happened...)

The thing about these songs, is that they have a very touristic nature to the music that you can visually track them to scenery and advancement, so it is an ideal car drive type of band. But also a great band to listen to in the car and then take out of the car when you get to that one place that for some reason you had to stop the car on the side of the road and just gaze upon that thing that has drawn your attention...a moment of small enigmatic proportions, or perhaps large ones, but you feel transported. I think start the journey with Undone's first track, Ephemera (This is No Heaven), it is one of the greatest songs, and it just kicks up towards the ends when the guitars layer upon themselves.

You are apt to free caught in the moment of total independence and a shit eating grin on your face...and go on, if you feel the need to air guitar upon the steering wheel, you won't be the first!

Take my word for it!

No comments: