Friday, July 20, 2007

And She WIll WIsh Again For That Side



I was once mesmerized that something that sounded this good, could actually be from the states. I was informed that this was some California band that was friends with a friend. I was utterly shocked because I couldn't understand how this was sitting in Southern California and not out somewhere and accessible for many more people in this country.
Later I learned that the earlier info was completely wrong, and that this was a project that had been joined and formed with former Cocteau Twins's bassis Will Heggie, and with that little CT affiliation everything made sense and I of course started to obsess about the collecting of these albums. WHat can I say, it was the perfect element of the morosity I wanted from New Order and never seemed to get. Here it was, gloom pop personified, and I wanted to live in these songs as if they were storage places for all my emotions that I hadn't identified with every song yet, even though CT was doing its own marvelous things for me.

I remember it so perfectly. The first song I heard was off a tape that my friend and I played on our radio program, entitled Enchantment. Tonguetiedandtwisted began and I was just rattled from head to toe by everything. The vocals. The beat. The bass-line. Oh god that bass-line. The little shimmering chords of the infrequent guitar just lingering like the eyes upon a secret special place. I sat in my crappy chair, listening to this and staring at the table and the player spinning around watching the levels move up and down and thinking how sad it was to be when this stopped because this was the first thing in a while to hit me as amazingly as it did.

All of a sudden I could visualize the fans of this band, and it was a population of people I wanted to be friends with. I wanted to sit in a room with other people and listen to Lowlife and be amongst those people who were as insanely in love with this band and "got it" like I did. So I went on a mission a few more years later to start finding Lowlife fans and converting others who shared similar tastes in music to me, into them. I orchestrated this by hitting every discussion group I could with bands I liked, and asking about Lowlife in the forums...I converted at least 8 around this happy globe. I found about 10 and with that started a forum of my own for this amazing and highly underrated band.
As the months and years went by I culled a nice array of friends to chat with and wax poetic about these albums and songs, inclusive of a few nice moments of Craig's responses back to my waxings. However, my love did not die but the drama within that forum at times became a bit much, and without wanting to spoil the memories of all I had worked on with such enthusiasm, I handed over the forum to the now owner of the official website and said, enjoy!

This album is such a sparkling momento in my history of friendships, loss and memories. Listening to it just puts me in such a place. Sitting in my dorm room and watching the sun setting behind the trees and over the parking lot behind the cafeteria. Autumn dusk and full of the crisp world permeating with the early onsets of a cold chill in the morning. The feeling of being awake and very much in a daydream at the same time. To be reciprocated with the same impact in one's eyes that I feel within about these words and sentiments. Love and loss. Hope and Wonder. Everything from one's sad past with the grace of optimism in ones future.

FROM SIDE TO SIDE

What an absolutely amazing and for the most part, utterly flawless band and discography. There will be more on my moments with them...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

HELLO mmmmmm....SHADES OF AN AUDIO DAYDREAM!!!!
EXCELLENT BLOG
GOOD MUSIC...
LOWLIFE IS TERRIFIC BAND!!!
PLEASE RE-UPLOAD THE FILE
LINK NOT FOUND
THANKS,
REGARDS FROM PERU
JOSE

Anonymous said...

Excellent post, great band of the eighties, but the archive is dead.
Please re-up the album, thanks friend. Mauro.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I would also like to ask you for a reup.
This is an excellent blog, I'm visiting it from time to time. Right now I'm listening to your Neva post - awesome stuff, really !!!
Had never heard of them before but when I was looking for new wave/post-punk records I came across your site - and stayed :-))))

I'd really appreciate everything by Lowlife, such a fantastic band (and pretty damn hard to find).

Cheers,
Antoine