Friday, July 6, 2007

But I won't...let others live in hell



Well what do I remember of those early years of MTV?
I remember a miasma of videos that made no sense, but looked damned cool. I also remember the starkness of two videos in particular that I thought the songs were great because of it. One was Modern English's "I'll Melt With You" and the other was U2's "Sunday Bloody Sunday". This is before these songs were played to death and became nauseating to hear. Somehow my tolerance for U2 is greater than Modern English.

I still contend that U2's first three releases are flawless and are a most perfect early trinity in this genre of music. Its raw and packed with emotion and just great rock music. Sure you can cover it with whatever you want to feel cool about liking early U2 because you are not a lame-o...call it punk, post punk, alternative, but down to it all, unmistakably true, U2 is at the core a great rock band. And this album is what proves it. While I am a huge fan of Boy, War has refined out the mellow and the pop so that it is infectious in beat when it needs to be, and is really gripping when it needs to be. I think this album laid the groundwork for what became the elemental formula for this band. Even though I lost touch of my fondness for them as the years carried on and by Achtung, I said, okay its enough. Next!

The memories I have listening to this album bring me back to childhood and my innocent reflections upon the outdoors, and truth be told the first interaction I had with songs and snow. I remember going sledding with my mom and while we were coming home, Sunday Bloody Sunday was playing on the radio, and it made me smile because I too was out in the snow only earlier watching the heat escape from my mouth. That and a craving for Chicken McNuggets, but that has nothing to do with U2, so I digress...but quickly I add, I used to love going to McDonalds after a winter storm and getting those and the barbecue sauce and a fry...oh baby!
moving along...

Its a great album. It moves and by the time you get to the end you want to go back in, or maybe just go through a few favorites but you can't help yourself. They are a band that cannot be stopped apparently, but unarguably it can't be said that they have lasted this long for no reason...they're good at what they do, even if style wise they may not be that interesting, they still know the formula! So they keep the old and bring more in each time!

Let the Bells Ring Out


Like A Song recorded live in 1983 (song only)

No comments: