Tuesday, August 21, 2007

there's a space in what you know



Every band that one holds near and dear has a similar reason as to why, and for me it's the ebb and flow of how I relate my emotions and essences to a band. Does it cradle and pull at the heart and head strings? If it does enough that I fall victim to encapsulating myself into the songs then, by jove! ITS A KEEPAH!

Enter the Comsat Angels. A band that I knew, but didnt know, until I discovered them and didnt realize I knew them but thought I stumbled upon the greatest thing, without realizing I had always known them from a much longer time, but just not in this format. If that seems boggling, then perhaps if I said I knew the pop hit "Stay Tonite" by CS Angels, but didn't know that song was by the CS Angels, who were in fact the Comsat Angels, and while I knew this somg lyrically inside and out, and the track from "Real Genius". Back when I was like 8 years old. Many years later, at 22, I was given a mixed tape by a dear former friend of mine, I heard the song Total War from these sessions, and thought it was one fo the best things I had heard in a great while.

Who the hell were the Comsat Angels?
I must find everything by them and buy it, PRONTO!
So I made a mad dash to my computer, yes, it was only some 8 years ago this stumble happened, and I am quick to want than rest and wait, so I ordered "Waiting For A Miracle" and waited. I got it, listened and then jumped onto the computer and ordered "Sleep No More." Got it, listened to it and was beyond floored. How could there be so much bass in ones face and so darn perfect in every way. Where was this during my mopey teen years? It was everything that The Cure's "Disintegration" was incapable of delivering, but everything I wanted. I hailed Our Secret as one of the greatest gloom pop songs ever and noted the Comsat's as one of the greatest and most under appreciated bands.

Said friend of mixed tape, burned me off the b sides from the re-masters that came out in 2003, so I would have music for my flight to France, and also burned this initial version of the "Time Considered Sessions" and "Fiction" for me. I was Comsatted and ready to go!

Words alone are all I can use but I still have issues with the fact that no one ever mentions these guys as influential in the post punk era. However, in a regard I am also glad because in some way I treasure them soo that I dont want some piece of shit hipster who's on the bandwagon to be listening to them and not fully digesting how great they are, but saying something clever like, they are among his top bands like Suicide, Gang of 4, The Pop Group, Wire and Pere Ubu. I cannot have this. Yes Im a snob, get over it. (or has the reference list changed again?)

"Yeah Im really into those early demo sessions by Human League. THe Normal too....its amazing electronic stuff, really interesting. But I think it all goes back to Eno, but you know The Velvets and Floyd too, I mean you have to admit...."

Do you want me to strike a poseur?
ha! :)

This assortment of songs is grand. This band is amazing and Kevin Bacon, the profound one who is the "real" musician, is one of the greatest song writers and smooth bass players in rock. Give props! Im not sure in the combo who wins...I think I gravitate towards the Bacon more (haa haa thats funny) but then again, there's the Burgess...Its a Burgess v. Bacon....its a toughy, because they're very different and very similar. Its all in the delivery.

Our Secret still makes me feel dropped on my head and dumbfounded by just about everything in this world. But while it does this it makes me feel so assured at the same time. How!? HOW DO YOU DO THIS!!!!???? I also will notate that the greatest bass line ever dropped in musical history comes at the bridge of Independence Day, and you can't tell it so much in the sessions, but on WFM, its beyond amazing! Like getting kicked in the ass in the best way. If you are out there in hip hop land, take a lesson, that's how you drop it!

LINK : BBC Sessions

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just got the remastered sleep no more album, its fantastic dark and introspecive, our secret is one of the best tracks ive ever heard. probably the greatest post punk band ever.