Tuesday, August 28, 2007

2 years overdose=Twice


TWICE A MAN

The partnership known as Twice A Man, ie- post Cosmic Overdose, is a great synthesis, dare I say, that created one of the pivotal synth pop albums of the 80's I would say. If not in actual recognition, but perhaps sound alone that to me truly reflected what the early 80's sounded like to me, when they weren't utter commercial synth pop. The first official release by Twice A Man, Music For Girls is one that reminds me of how interesting this music was to me and how it sounded so cold and strange to me when I was little, but still poppish. I dont think I actually articulated it in that way, but mostly I was/still am, and overly visual person and it would make me think of desolated shopping malls, or giant grey rooms of people dressed in black and white with floors of black and white all moving about with very little sound, while music like this played and pantomime ensued in the event of necessary communication.

Kind of like how bedrooms were adorned with those porcelain or ceramic masks that hung from the wall. Something magical but a bit creepy at the same time. Synths to me, have always given this sound of otherworldlyness to me. Not in the Dead Can Dance effects of the Im in the Sahara, but in that video game digital analog and bleak minimal world. Like being stuck in a life version of an Atari game on a black and white set.

For that essence I would acknowledge the tracks, Breathe the Air, Battle (especially) and Decay (god bless that little repeat in there that everyone has blundered in the "did the record skip?" ergo overdubbing in my head). Then there are the outright 80s reflective electro dance pop hits that are just so obvious to anyone who listens to this lp, Dance and In My Mind. Personally, my favorite song on here is Threat, and while I think the lyrics are totally cliché, the music is the eeriest on this one with the string-like setting on the synth, that it resonates the most with that empty oddity world that I felt and conjured in my head as a young one. Gentlemen, I like the piano element to it, but it does get a bit monotonous in tone to me after a while. I still sware this was used in the soundtrack in "Fast Times At Ridgemont High." I can firmly say that Russian Tractors is not my favorite, that anthemic keyboard in it just makes it cheesy and I don't care if its because its totally dated in sound, I would have found this cheesy in the early 80s also...kind of like Ultravox's "Life's Great Adventure."

Anyways, I suppose its synth day. I hope you enjoy this for your Tuesday!

LINK : {Some...One's...Toy}

No comments: