Tuesday, June 19, 2007

REFLECTIONS OF I

T H I S W E E K I'm thinking about the beginnings of my musical obsessions, and those things that changed, or had massive impressions upon me that shaped my tastes and fostered my peaked interest.



This was the first Siouxsie and The Banshees album I owned, when I was engulfing myself further into the darker tones of music. I was an insane Cure fanatic and everything that Robert Smith had a part in I had to own. At the tender age of 15 I was well aware of the Banshees, but had owned nothing by them, as I wasn't really collecting music that heavily yet...most of the reason being I really had nothing to ever play it on. All we owned was a stereo, and a record player that really was unreliable...I had a walkman, but as my father took our tape deck with him when he moved out, it became difficult at times to always find things on cassette, for this was the age of the CD's claim to fame...and things were becoming more accessible at stores on CD...finally I had gotten a cd player at Christmas and with whatever money I received as well, purchased the cd's I had been pining away for...
this being one of them.

It was January of 92 in New York, in the Long Island suburb of Huntington, and around I walked listening to this on the tape I dubbed from the CD on my walkman and listening to this album at loud levels at home, and feeling this haunting chill and unexplainable dark decadence that I had never experienced with anything I owned. I would walk around at the night hours listening to this album and become more and more enchanted with it, thinking this was the album that expressed everything about this time of year at this hour...dark and urgent...

Only years later would I read about the fact that this is one of their least favorites, and its one of the most panned of them, but the most popular. I can't resolve this, for it is the only album that contributes more tracks than any other on the greatest hits cd's, ergo, Twice Upon A Time...

It still remains a great album, no longer a favorite, but while listening to it yesterday it brought back all those feelings of roaming around in the cold night times and staring into the sky and wondering about others whom might possibility relate to me and these moments. And wondering "what seething, unsated, and dervish meant," and "what was belladonna," and "why did I always read Preacher as Pre Acher and think what the heck a Pre Acher was...,"
That and having an obsession with the illustration on the cover and tracing it over and over until i got it right...

If you would like to share this memory and have it now to reflect on, well then...
care of bigupload / 128kps

2 comments:

Joe said...

my least fav too. kaleidoscope 4-eva!

Joe said...

btw i have visions of you blasting this walking around Halesite shopping centers looking with contempt