Thursday, October 4, 2007

Fear In Colour



When you feel that sensation of moments that you have not experienced but you feel them through the imaginary person you live inside, whom is many miles away and its as if you are seeing things behind their eyes/// Does that make sense...?

Pretend if you will that you have a close friend whom lives in a city and country far away from you, and while you have a familiarity with that place, their experiences there now, are different than what you are acquainted with. Somehow though, one song that plays within your ears makes you feel as if you are them, and you are seeing things through their eyes as if you were them...because emotionally you feel an immense connection to them. Perhaps it is because you have linked certain songs to that person since they sent them to you and because of that, these bands and songs will always resonate THAT person whenever you hear them.

Enter Little Nemo...

City Lights, was the first track I heard by them and it flipped me upside down. This was all during the time that I was being familiarized to the french coldwave catalog and was feeling the start of something great and amazing. A new discography of bands I didnt know, and a world of lyrics that would amaze me, when I understood them, and music that would provide more landscapes to dream in and around.

City Lights was the start of something in me, and from the dear person who sent it to me, I felt as if it connected to their new experiences in a new city. I was wondering about their new life, and this song provided the swirling backdrop for it all. More songs by Little Nemo followed into my ownership and as I kept listening to these songs I kept associating them with that person. It wasn't so much a wonderland that was being created but a friendly familiarity with this band because of a relationship I had had with the person, that I felt like Little Nemo was something from my past and of my new present that felt right and not strange.

When I listen to Marine, from this album, I am brought to that sentimental memory of how it felt when I first looked out the french doors from the bedroom of the hotel when I first arrived in Paris and felt completely elsewhere and absorbing the feelings in the air of a place with such a rich history and such a splendid moment that I was having.

So much of this album are moments of watching things through the supposed eyes of others. There is something about the voice in all these songs, which is do to the slight echo effect on it, but it makes it all very sentimental, and there is a longing and remembrance to so much of the lyrics, especially like Sandcastle where you can all but just picture the person roaming the shores in the haze of the thoughts and aspirations of someone...Fickleness, Tales Of The Wind and Blue Years are other tracks that feel wrapped in the memory of a place in a day left alone to ponder about all of it as if it was s movie in sepia that was looping about behind your eyes while what you were truly looking at was the shoreline just moving slightly about.

The most important thing to be noted about Little Nemo, in stepping out of my sentimental carriage for a moment, is that they were the creators of the Lively Art imprint within the New Rose label, and thankfully for that, so much of the french coldwave/touching pop catalog of artists were able to co-exist as a bountiful hospice of emotions and music that all coincided and raised the bar on this genre. (Not to mention that one off project called Teepee, which is BRILLIANT! to say the least...does anyone have the other track that is paired with Erosion?)

LINK : {Precious Days}

No comments: