Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Are you made of stone?

I am seriously unable to bring myself out of this obsession Ive had for the past 2 days. Every part of me just wants it to be 1990 and to be 16 and be living in the UK and going to Stone Roses shows every day.



Yes I cannot save myself from wishing that I was miles and miles and away and in another time dimension. When you listen to certain songs it just makes you want to be a part of the everything. It's like you feel so utterly left out of something that stirs you so much to just get loaded and jump around to such greatness and be amongst a masses of adoring fans who are 1000% mad for it.



Oh, why is it that it always seems that the fan level of hurrah seems so much better in GB than here? I feel completely wrapped in nostalgia and yet Ive never had the opportunity to see the Roses live, and yet I watch it all and feel like Im there with a best friend and I can recall from memory how super fantastic this was.

I have had moments with friends dancing around to these songs as if soaked in the grace of these concerts, and ven cars late at night blasting these songs and feeling like I was there, as the lights above stream fast passing and you are lost in the lyrics just singing away as if your adolescence is the most precious and outrightly eternal thing in this world.



So for now I sit here at my desk at work bobbing my head side to side and pretending to be in a greater place than I am. COupled with the sense of sadness of knowing that this beautiful moment died for so many when the Roses split...and my last passing memories of all of this was in 95, reading all the issues of NME and Melody Maker making jokes about them playing to support their non existant careers, and how Mr Squire was out and about playing his guitar for food. It was just so sad...

Watching it all just makes me sad and anxious and filled with so many things about the joys of youth and nostalgia and how its all gone. That great tapped sense of lost youth. Sad.

But, shit, enough of that reverie, lets dance!

4 comments:

Joe said...

So with you on this on. Vivid memories of meeting the first "alterna" kid that was in my junior high. "YOU LIKE THE STONE ROSES!!!!?" It was such a rarity out in the burbs, especially in 1990. All those post school afternoons sitting at his house blasting the records whilst his deaf parents were none the wiser. Im shocked the 90s has not returned yet in the way the 80s refuses to part. Such a magical time. There I said it. Twas magic!

Plastiquegal said...

Yup, and yet with those bands that are trying to spawn up the grand era of shoegaze no one is truly owning up to that morsel of brit pop baggy. I don't understand it, what a great musical time to feel the optimism of liveliness.
Okay...I think I have just put on reserve our next inspiration of FAG sessions when i visit NYC.

Joe said...

totally. this can be our soundtrack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7CE8TVlA0k

1990, we shall overcome!

Plastiquegal said...

Here's what Im talking about, think back....

Candyland....Bitter moon.

NEEED THAT SONG!!!!!