Tuesday, September 25, 2007

READ MY LIPS



[I am not posting the above, but the compilation, 1986-1989.]

I wonder how many people ever think to write an opinion of a band and site Austrailia's own Ikon, as a reference, for it seems that stuff like this is always compared to the Psychocandy era of Jesus and Mary Chain if there is a dark psyche fuzz element to it. However this is so much darker sounding than the JMC gang...Yet just when I started thinking about my own silly issues with musical journalism the next track rolls around and I start thinking of other elements of another band...and I start thinking of all those heavy drum machine wonders of the post "Some Girls Wander By Mistake" copies...

Then as if by a recognition of my own thoughts, the fuzz changes and I am sitting here with a very dark electronic album that borders somewhere in my head between the things I like, and the great thing I adore about the sound recording quality of demos.

I love a a lo res quality demo!
The sound of an unperfected static like resonance off the drum machine...reminds me of the Lowlife Black album a bit. But then I start to think about how all of this wording just starts to sound so review-esque and it makes me a bit annoyed because all I am doing is a typical music dork thing and sorting the bands by whom they sound like instead of trying to just plainly listen to the album and not analyze it into its place within the musical card catalog where cross references and similarities exist in this world of compare and contrast.

She Only Smiles begins and I begin to think of the slightly fuzzier elements of Abecedarians, yet another band that shoulda, coulda, woulda been a Factory band, but somehow wasn't....But I can't get Ikon out of my head when listening to this, and I wonder, is it just me?

So I think of something off my mind to say, yeah Savage Garden...Guess who????

I think the assortment of tracks on here are quite good, and if the dark brooding drum machine post punk bass line with a fuzzed guitar is what your after, then this is a keeper! I like it! But it keeps sounding like Ikon to me...why does no one ever mention those Aussies...

Or is it like almost everything today? Well it all sounds like Joy Division...because this doesn't sound like that at all! And why is it that Joy Division IS the definition of Factory, lest we all be reminded they were not the first band on the label. I don't think Durutti COlumn sounds like any Joy DIvision album, but its certainly Factory!

Why is it this album inspires me to think about almost everything but the album itself that Im listening to!?! Hmm, if I decide to write about music then I will listen to this and ponder about other things...Good ambience soundtrack!

LINK : Give me your hard shoulder to lie on

2 comments:

Joe said...

"yeah Savage Republic..."

Umm I think you meant Savage Garden.

Plastiquegal said...

HAA HAAA oh thats awesome...thats a nice one on my end in the typing errors...HURRAY FOR CATHOLIC SYNTH POP! haa haaa

good one!

woops!