Friday, May 25, 2007

Meloncholy Swoons



My first introduction to this song was through the video on the Lonely is An Eyesore compilation, and that is why I am placing it in video format.

The first time I heard it I was eager to hear the lyrics until I realized half way through there were most likely no lyrics. It made me feel slightly dreamy in a restful on the bed on a sunshine day staring out your window way...counting the squares within that one section of the screen you had become fixated on. I remember a friend being very engrossed with this song and going on a very huge thirst for it...to finally be quenched many many years later.

At this point this song is nostalgia for me...its of a time when I was still very wide eyes about the notions of romance and post school years and everything I lived for was collegiate or the complete antithesis. This antithesis was going to clubs as many nights as I could to spend time with a large group of friends that I loved dearly. It was being the me I had always wanted to be when I was younger and in high school craving the union of folks into what i was into...but never having them.

I sit here and listen to it and it makes me think of smoke filterred bedrooms with fans sucking out the smoke as we glare at the television in a low lit bedroom watching this video on an ash stained carpet being completely entranced by the myriad of 4ad videos and always getting to the end of this one and letting out a sigh. So good!

Each time I hear it I am apt to listen to it at least twice.

Sure its not the most obscure track out there, and for Dif Juz this is the one most know, because of the comp. but it has special meaning to me and I am transported everytime I hear it, to another period of my life, at which so much of that seems dead, or at least very suitably stowed away in a chest for only me to reflect upon later on.

A keepsake.

No comments: