Friday, June 25, 2010

I Listen to Some Strange Shit...

Rare that it is that I find myself here and compelled to write but, alas, I am here, compelled and at the current moment writing, well typing, as who in their mind and physical capacities actually uses ink (save for a tattoo artist?!) SO yes, I am here writing in the moment because sometimes you find yourself there in the moment and you really have that itch that needs scratching and I am here scratching, rubbing and trying to apply the ointment that resolves the urgent moment....while still enjoying that slightly annoying tingle.

The tingle comes from a week long exploit back into blogs and obscurity conquests...and some good favorites that I have long since owned and found myself, uh, compelled, again, to listen to. Currently, the tingles and their very long fingers have grabbed me from a little country in Europe called Sweden, who, as we know, holds host to many an arty and at time eccentric folk...it's not just France, yes, Sweden too has some crazy messed up in the head art freaks!

I am sitting here and listening to Elegi's self titled release. I am about half way through it and have still no idea what I think of it. It's manic and definitely rock n roll, but hovering with those odd moments of no wave/punk rock. Admittedly, I had no idea why I was downloading it either, oh yes I do, the cover looked cool and right for a genre that I generally find myself lured to. It was black. It had an obscured image. Bad 80s script. Oh, and it was female fronted! Surely it must have some appeal.... Hmmm, Im not sure if it has the appeal for me, but I can see how in a post punk mindset in a no wave sound generated through modern equipment to primitive ears this could constitute as a FUCKING RAD RECORDING! However, I wasn't looking for rad, I was looking for AMAZING!

Currently I am listening to a song about Anorexia Nervosa, aptly called "Anorexia nervosa" which while my Swedish is a bit slow these days (as opposed to the earlier days when I was a world famous Swedish novelist) I'll figure is about the eating habit, or maybe a metaphor...I'll have to wait on that! I have found more anxiousness than nervousness in listening to this entire album thus far and all I can truly say is that I am waiting for that hidden gem of a track that makes this worthwhile for the time it is currently removing from my life. What is up with the rock opera piano? I can't stand this Rocky Horror like stuff....this could go into such a better direction, and yet it just goes shlocky!

I know there are some truly amazing bands out of Sweden...Mittageissen, Modern Art, even a little project called Svart...But this is truly starting to be an earful of fudge with the worst aftertaste. Squealing guitars and that raucus piano and moaning female vocals....Well I have found myself itching and scratching and I think it's time to grab that music bottle of Calydryl and change this up, yes even though I only have but a pale 6 minutes left on the album on the last track, I don't know if I can handle it.

SHould I? In comes the dismal sax, in a dark ambiance, perhaps this is the track that since its named after the band is the MOMENT IM WAITING FOR. But I sit and type and am worried....Im waiting for some silly zeal to wind over the piano...although the mood seems to linger and clutch to this moment that is unfolding. Oh weep for me sad and lonely street merchant in the big city lost under the haze of the acidic and liquored blown lights while stumbling home to the apartment that contains the seventh eviction notice and find the only thing left is your Lou Reed photo taken from a magazine in a black frame next to the take out leftover in an aluminum tin....the water doesn't work and neither does your lightbulb but you stumble onto your mattress to lay down and count the hours of subconscious delerium that was this evening and all the while still trying to figure out how to get rent or who you could lust up the next day so you would have a place to stay for a little while, certainly there could be someone on those streets that was in need of a lay and if you could provide it with some artsy chat, he'd return the favor with some cleaner sheets within paid walls and perhaps a coffee in a paper cup, for you...just for you.

Close your eyes dollface....it gets better eventually.....in 50 more seconds we will have finally closed this album and moved on to the Italian band Edith Nylon which is exactly what I wanted to listen to in the first place. 10 -9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1-pulsate and away.

No comments: