Wednesday, September 5, 2007

I Don't Care....

A C MARIAS


Can I sing the praises high enough for some of the material this fine woman has released? I can honestly express that my familiarity with her is quite recent, for it has only been a year...I think I missed a bunch of stuff in the years I stopped being so addicted to music and focused on being a girl.

Introduced through her involvement with Dome's "Cruel When Complete" which you can listen to here, (please left and right click or control + to download, im being nice here), I thought her voice was a beautiful moment in that hollow stuck in the corridor way. The way that much of minimal synth has sought to do in production, and the glory that is the resonance of how an un overly produced Harold Budd piano just leaves you radiant. The songs within this album by A C Marias are really magical in their nature and have a special place in me reserved for moments when I feel a bit needing of transience.

I do confess that part of me also wishes that I was her a little, for I enjoy watching women create things that sound so amazing and to know that for although the scene was rather small with women and this genre, those who contributed did it in such a truly splendid way, I'll give a shout to Anne Clark as another, Lisa Gerrard (pre DCD), and let us dare not forget the divine AND unique vocal stylings of Mrs. Colin Newman, Malka S. You can have solo acts and be really provoking, and your name doesn't have to be Nico, whom I confess again, really does bore me...

The point here is that this is a lovely talent and one whom sadly slipped by me most definitely due to the fact I had no exposure to her as I was too young to be on it enough as a music dork at that time, as I was cruising the DM and new wave catalogs for almost forever, and then not really ever diving into what has become a very much appreciated catalog of Colin Newman projects...save for the overly obvious one. Sometimes the gems slip through the cracks, but such as long as someone is nice enough out there to share the treasure, well then you can still consider yourself blessed and cherish the kindness of others appreciation.

Appreciate I do. Believe me! So this is my treasure to impart on all of you today, for a moment of grace and solace, take your beverage of great warmth, stand sit down in front of your freezer with your favorite blanket at your side, and put this on play. Just when you start to feel a chill more noticeable than before, blanket yourself and feel that initial comfort of warmth, and this album will make all the more sense to you! A keeper for your first frost of winter.

LINK : {One Of Girls}

2 comments:

Curious Guy said...

The Gentry have a website!
www.thegentry.nl
Only Dutch for the moment but English version is following.

Plastiquegal said...

Oh wow, thanks!